Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Australian Red Cross WA




Energetic and much-loved Perth personality, Tod Johnston, is the
latest celebrity to lend his support to Red Cross here in WA.
Tod,
who is now hosting the weekend afternoon program on radio, talked
to Red Cross about work, humanity and the source of his copious
amounts of energy.



RC: How are you enjoying being on the airwaves?

TJ: Loving it. It gives me a chance to voice my opinion on things and I do enjoy giving that opportunity to those who call in. What a great bunch of people at ABC radio.

RC: What is it you like best about your life at the moment?

TJ: The fact that every time the phone rings, it could be anyone. I have been given the gift of freedom and many more positives tend to come from that.


RC: What lesson has life taught you recently?

TJ: That my family are my strength, and that having
them makes me feel as if I could take on anything.
I also know that I have courage nd honour and that I have faith.


RC: People often comment on your exuberance and energy. Where do these traits come from?

TJ: Perhaps my parents; perhaps my family; perhaps from within. If you naturally have enthusiasm for life, don't waste it and don't let anyone, who doesn't have it, bring you down.

RC: What made you decide to become an Advocate of Red Cross?

TJ: Firstly, it was the invitation! And then, I have always admired the efforts of Australian Red Cross and their core values. It was a very easy decision for me.

RC: What's your earliest memory of Red Cross?

TJ: Probably someone knocking on my door, doing a doorknock, and Mum and Dad racing around the house looking for some change.

RC: When growing up, how did your family demonstrate to you the importance of helping and supporting others?

TJ: One of Dad's philosophies was always to make this world of ours a better place in which to live. Mum was always showing care and love, and these core beliefs become yours and the legacy continues.

RC: The Principles that guide the Red Cross Movement across the globe are Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. Which Principle can you most identify with and why?

TJ: Humanity. To always treat others as you would have them treat you. Love is only a four letter word and yet its power is amazing!

RC: Who is your humanitarian hero?

TJ: My modern day hero would have to be Oprah Winfrey! She is helping thousands of kids in Africa through her foundation.